Today, our guest cook Kim Howell (AKA Insta's @hungry_gc) generously shares her recipe for parmesan and rosemary sourdough.
It's a delightful combination of flavours that will leave your taste buds dancing.
Here's what you'll need:
- 500g unbleached white flour
- 100g starter
- 10g good quality salt
- 350g of filtered warm water
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary
Kim's recipe is not just about mixing ingredients; it's about a journey of patience and love for bread-making. Here are the steps:
- Start by adding warm water to the flour and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Incorporate the starter into the dough, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salt over the dough, massage it in, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Begin the stretch and fold process, repeating it four times over two hours. During the last two folds, add the parmesan and rosemary.
- After the final fold, let the dough rest for 6-7 hours in a warm place.
Shaping the Loaf
Place the dough onto a clean surface and gently mould it into a ball, cover and let it rest for 30 minutes. Once rested, dust top with a little flour, flip over onto the bench and gently pull the dough out, up and press into the middle until it is a perfect ball. Place the dough in a banneton dusted with rice flour, cover, and place in the fridge for 12-16 hours for final fermentation.
The Baking Process
The next morning, as you preheat your oven to 230 degrees Celsius (fan forced) with a dutch oven inside, you can almost taste the bread's tantalising aroma. With a gentle flip, the cold dough lands on parchment paper, ready to be scored and placed into the preheated dutch oven. After 20 minutes, take the lid off, drop the temperature to 220 degrees Celsius and cook for a further 20 minutes.
A Perfect Pairing
The result? A rich, dark golden-brown loaf that pairs exquisitely with ploughman cheese and ham off the bone. It's a culinary delight that combines Kim's passion for gardening and cooking into a single, delicious experience.
In a world where passion knows no boundaries, Kim Howell's journey from gardening to gourmet baking is an inspiring example.
So, whether you're a fellow Glowpearion or simply someone who appreciates the joy of homemade food, give Kim's parmesan and rosemary sourdough a try.
Your taste buds will thank you for embarking on this delectable adventure!