Here is a delicious way to enjoy young, green tomatoes from your Glowpear, for longer, whether early or late in the season.
4 cups of green tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon of fresh fennel seeds, or fennel tops
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoons of salt
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of water
- Wash a large (1 litre) jar and lid in hot soapy water, and then rinse and leave to dry.
- Slice the green tomatoes you've collected and pack them into the washed and dried jar.
- Pluck your fennel seeds, or finely slice fennel tops and add them to a saucepan along with the peeled garlic cloves. Then add the peppercorns, salt, sugar, vinegar and water. Bring to the boil and stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Place the tomato jar over a sink and carefully pour over the pickle brine. Using a spoon, gently push the peppercorns down into the mixture to evenly distribute them.
- Next add the lid to the jar and let it cool to room temperature.
- Store the pickle in the fridge overnight before tasting.
Try serving the green tomato pickle on toasted sourdough with goats cheese, fresh basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. This pickle keeps in the fridge for several weeks, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it!